Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The importance of a good folder structure
A clear folder structure helps you to store all research data in a structured and consistent manner and to retrieve it quickly and efficiently.
Video: Folder structure best practices
A number of points to consider when creating a folder structure:
- Do not create more than 3 to 4 levels
- Chose logical categories (folder names)
Folder names can be used to shorten file names, e.g.:
- file name: 20180129_InterviewpersonA_audio
- becomes file name: 2018129_PersonA in the folder
- Keep 'in progress' and 'completed' separate
Document your defined structure in your data management plan. For example:
Bron: Parsons, G. (2017). Introduction to research data management:
training presentation. Cranfield: Cranfield University.
www.zuyd.nl | Disclaimer | Over Zuyd Bibliotheek